News Article Viewer

Fire Department

Safety Tips

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that’s hard to detect because it’s colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It’s created when fuels like wood, gasoline, coal, or propane burn incompletely. Home heating and cooking equipment are potential sources. CO incidents peak in winter, especially in homes. In residential properties, heating systems and stoves become breeding grounds for CO. Malfunctions or poor ventilation allow this gas to silently infiltrate living spaces. Regular maintenance of heating systems, chimneys, and vents is crucial to prevent CO buildup.

Education is key. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and confusion. To stay safe, it’s important to have CO detectors in your home and to make sure that fuel-burning appliances are well-maintained and properly ventilated. If any of your detectors are alarming, always call 911.           

–Fire Department

Latest on Instagram:

Washington City Utah | (435) 656-6300
111 North 100 East | Washington, Utah 84780 [map]
© 2024 Washington City Corporation. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy

Connect with Washington City: