Washington City Old School and Museum
25 E Telegraph
Museum Staffed by Volunteers, please call (435) 986-4228
The City of Washington is proud of its history and heritage. The City was settled in 1857 by Mormon converts from the southern United States who were called on a "Cotton Mission" by Brigham Young to go to southern Utah and grow cotton. They named their city in honor of the first president of the United States, George Washington.
In 1863 the citizens built the first permanent school house. It was built of adobe and located in the southwest corner of the public square. In 1877 a handsome two story sandstone building replaced the original school. In 1922 a gymnasium was added to the rear of the building and in the 1930s central heating was installed. The building is now the home of the Washington City Museum.
The Washington City Museum was established to help preserve Utah's history