School Safety Zones
The Washington City Police Department would like to encourage the community to be mindful of children and safety on streets throughout the community while driving, especially around School Zones. Here are some great tips on School Zone Safety.
Drivers In School Zones:
- Be especially alert in residential neighborhoods and school zones.
- Drive slowly and anticipate pedestrian traffic.
- Take extra time to actively look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Do Not Enter the crosswalk when there are children or the crossing guard ANYWHERE inside the crosswalk.
- Stay back from buses when loading and unloading allowing extra space between you and the bus. Turn on your emergency blinkers when stopped behind a bus loading or unloading.
- Anticipate the unexpected. We never know what to anticipate from a child. They may dart in and out of traffic without looking.
- Wait your turn, don’t become impatient, allow extra time when dropping off or picking up your children at school. There are a large number of vehicles and children in a small area. Even the slowest or smallest collision can cause a significant injury to a child.
- Watch those school speed zones. Not only for safety sake but for the sake of your wallet as well. We encourage officers to be proactive in school zones to ensure the safety of the children.
Please let your Washington City Police Department know if you have any questions or need assistance with any of the above information. Thanks for all you do to make our community a great place to be.